10) You left your racket in you car trunk or garage all winter (or all night) and your strings went stale
9) You haven’t had your racket restrung since November 2014
8) You can’t remember when you last had your racket restrung
7) You can’t hit your favorite shot
6) You saw someone else’s strings and they look cooler than yours
5) Your stringer needs a new car
4) There are more filaments on your strings than string
3) It’s the start of a new season
2) Your elbow is starting to hurt—tennis elbow
1) You broke a string
I just had my rackets restrung. It’s like buying a brand new racket. I used to use a bunch of over grip and never change my grips but now I have new grips put on every time my rackets are strung. I love how they feel, look, and grip. I don’t go for gut so I spend a little more on my grips.
All string is not created equal. My best friend and tennis partner wants the feel and control of gut. She strings her racket with a mix, ½ gut with the cross strings being a synthetic string which prolongs the life of her gut strings without hindering their feel. I need some help with topspin so like a synthetic string that’s shaped to bite the ball more and give me more topspin. Those are just two scenarios, there are many other strings and the tension of the stringing is a whole other topic!
All stringers are not created equal. I know a guy who knows a guy who—well you know how this goes right? Randy Stephenson from Rackets N String is my stringer. He does a great job. Both he and his wife Nicki run a full service stringing operation. He’s been stringing my rackets for over 15 years and he knows how to get my strings to help my game. But not everyone lives in or near Plano, TX, so check in your pro shop or tennis store and speak to the stringer. It can be very advantageous to talk with the person who strings your racket.
I’ll leave you with one last thought. Have your racket strung based on the number of times a week you play. If you play 3 times a week then 3 times a year. Even if you chose gut it is still cheaper than golf!